Thursday, March 10, 2011

Sex And The City...No Thanks

Alright, in my leisure time, which surprisingly seems to be diminishing rapidly with every "great" self-improvement idea that I have, I decided to hitch a ride on the Sex And the City bandwagon. I admit that since the complete series box set has been available to own for about 2 years, I am a bit late. Anyways, my new favorite distraction (other than this blog, of course) is Netflicks and while scrolling the TV section (actually looking for JAG) I came across Sex And the City. I know it is hard for many to believe, but I can only truthfully claim to have watched 2 1/2 episodes...EVER...and both of the not-so-great movies. So I am vaguely familiar with the "Famously Fab Four." Before you ask, I only went to watch the movies because that was "The Thing To Do" at the time. I don't have a problem taking one for the team, occasionally.

So, after successfully logging in, I ordered the first disc of season 1, a bit miffed that it wasn't available to watch on instant queue. One day later, I'm popping in the phenonmeon expecting to see the 8th Wonder of the World. At first, I thought they may have sent the wrong dvd, because the first episode did little in the way of introductions, but okay. 6 Episodes later, I'm seriously considering whether or not to waste the free posted on round 2 (mind you, I'm still in season 1 of like..10, right?). Whatever. I ordered the damn thing. It comes and goes...way to slow.

Let's see how I can best describe my Sex And the City experience: a bunch of forty-year old, trying to hard, analyzing way too much, sinfully promiscuous women, with a warped since of style so outlandish that it reminds of what Sally (the 2 year old I babysit) looks like when we plan dress-up and she doesn't the outfit coordinating. I may not be obsessed with fashion, like I was with my wedding flowers, but it is not lost on me. Even foward thinking, high fashion can be admired (from a distance). To valididate my credibility, I am a 3 year + subscriber and avid reader of Harper's Bazaar, Elle, Marie Claire, W, Vogue, and Vanity Fair. I do try to escape the  Florida bubble of flip-flops, tank tops and yoga pants monthly with those subscriptions. Just like with art and music, I am able to appreciate that which I have no hope of participating in. That should at least entitle me to an opinion, right? Good, I'm glad we agree.

With that said, what the hell is wrong with people? I guess I can slightly comprehend and sympathize with the late 30's, more like 40 somethings escaping the tragedy that has become their lives being fascinating with this show, but I'd like to think that my peers have something better to do? Don't we? I mean, I guess not, but should we really idolize these women and aspire to create their version of happiness, otherwise known as big-city drama???

I like drama. I like sex. I like fashion. I even like protensious people who need more sex, less drama, and better fashion (thus my infactuation with all of the Real Housewives of NY, NJ, OC, Beverly Hills, and ATL). But try as I did, I fell off the SATC bandwagon landing with a hard *thud*. Call me crazy, but I couldn't get past Carrie's mole (WTF...why in the hell did it take her so long to get it removed?); Charlotte's holier than thou indecisiveness and attraction to short, bald, fat men; Samantha's Prada and Prostitution approach to EVERYTHING; and Miranda's overcompensation for being picked on in school for being OCD, fire crotch, Teacher's pet, Have-to-be-acedemically-better-than-everyone because I was never asked out or invited to anything. I know real-life versions of these people and I choose not to engage, so why would I take away from my blog, my top 100 books I still haven't read list, DVR (full of BH 90210, Real Housewives, American Idol, Off The Map, Blue Bloods, and Jersey Shore), my brand new bicycle, equipped with all of the must-have gadgets (Thanks, Rapha) and Anytime Fitness membership (okay, I'm not really complaining about foresaking this one), but I included it just to show my other options???

The simple of fact of the matter, I think I am better off and actually more positively distinguishable for abandoning this terrible idea than suffered through, resenting every moment and mocking every fan. Although I can no longer say I haven't watched SATC (I can still proudly say that about the Star Wars, Harry Potter, Terminator and Lord of the Rings), I believe that with enough alcohol and advil I will successfully put that bad decision behind me....obviously having more time for this blog.

Maybe I'll even get up to four posts a day....well, then again I still have all those shows on my DVR...and NETFLICKS (who does, in fact, have all 10 seasons of JAG). :)

No comments:

Post a Comment